The CVD (Cumulative Volume Delta) Pane displays the cumulative volume changes based on the volume traded by sell aggressors versus buy aggressors. By default, this pane is hidden. To make it visible, click on the v-shaped arrow below the ladder.
By default, two representations of cumulative volume delta are shown: two line plots across the lower chart and two gauges on the right-hand panel. Two items are used in each representation because, by default, the split view is enabled (see below). This means that the values are shown individually for buy and sell aggressor sides. By default, the values are reset daily at the session start time, which you can configure by either right-clicking on the chart and choosing Session start settings or using the configuration window where you can also add more reset points (see below).
By comparing the numbers for buyers and sellers, you can determine whether buying or selling pressure is dominant at the moment.
To configure the CVD indicator displayed on the pane:
1. Right-click on the indicator and choose Settings. This will open the configuration window with the active Cumulative Volume Delta tab and settings for the default CVD instance.
2. Configure the Order Size Filters settings for the default CVD. Here, you can set minimum and maximum volume size to be accounted for in CVD calculation.
3. Select the indicator range:
- Session range: The values are accumulated since the session start time.
- Chart range: The values are accumulated over the time period defined by the current chart size. Note that zooming in and out on the chart may drastically affect the values displayed.
4. Set up points of reset for CVD Values, if necessary. Here, you can specify when CVD values are to be reset (they will start accumulating again right after the reset). By default, the values are only reset daily at the session start time. You can set the session start time by clicking on the Session start settings.
You can also add multiple reset points by clicking on the Add.. button at the bottom of the window. In the menu that appears, you can specify the time points at which you want the values to reset and the frequency of resets. When added, all reset points are shown in the Reference points area along with their attributes.
From now on, you can modify your reset points directly in this area using the dropdowns. You can also remove any of the reset points by clicking on the trash bin icon to the right.
5. Deactivate the Split buyers/sellers checkbox if you would like all values to be displayed as a single line plot and a single gauge. Note that the gauge will display the current dominant pressure side while the line may still contain sections where the different side was dominant.
6. If necessary, customize the colors for the positive (buy side aggressors) and negative (sell side aggressors) values.
7. You can immediately reset the values by clicking Reset now.
8. You may want to add another CVD instance, which could be calculated for a different volume size or time range or have a different reset schedule. To do so, click on the plus button on top of the window, enter a name for this indicator, and choose colors for positive and negative CVD values. Click Create. Next, configure this new indicator using steps 2-7.
This will show additional line plots on the lower chart and gauge(s) on the right-hand panel. A new tab will also be added to the top of the configuration window. Switch between the tabs to configure different instances of CVD. To remove a CVD instance, click x on the corresponding tab header.
9. If you add several instances of CVD, you may want to define how they should be displayed on the lower chart. To do so, choose one of the options above the CVD instance tabs:
- Symmetrical. On the lower chart, the range of the Y-axis will have positive and negative parts equal in length to the highest absolute value of any of the active CVD indicators. Example: If you add a new instance of CVD and the default CVD currently shows +/-400 for the dominant side while the secondary CVD shows +/-200 for the dominant side, the Y-axis will be scaled so that it contains both +400 and -400 marks.
- Include 0. On the lower chart, the Y-axis will be scaled so that it always contains the zero mark, regardless of the values of the CVD indicators.
- Compact. On the lower chart, the Y-axis will be scaled so it contains all the current values of CVD indicators in the most compact way possible.
When you’ve finished configuring your CVD indicators, you can customize their display on the right-hand panel:
1. To change the style of indication, right-click on the panel, navigate to Widgets style…, and choose any of the following: Vertical bars, Horizontal bars, or Text. Circles (gauges) are the default option.
2. To change the position of any of the indicators, right-click on it and choose either Move left or Move right. Repeat until the indicators are displayed in the desirable order.