The bid to buy and the offer to sell a particular stock or option at a given time. If you see a "quote" for an option on the screen "3 ½ - 3 7/8", it means that the bid price is $3.50 and the ask price is $3.875. This means that at the time the quote was disseminated, $3.50 was the highest price any buyer wanted to pay, and $3.875 was the lowest price any seller would take.
Quote Trend is a watchlist column in thinkorswim. It contains a row of 10 color coded bars move from left to right and indicate the direction of the latest quotes, each bar denoting a bid, ask or both according to the following rules:
- A half circle bar (either red or green) indicates the first tick of data for this symbol.
- If either the bid or the ask price is up, a green bar is added.
- If either the bid or the ask price is down, a red bar is added.
- If the bid price is up and the ask price is down, the top half of the bar is red and the bottom half is green.
- If the bid price is down and the ask price is up, the top half of the bar is green, and the bottom half is red.
- If both the bid and ask prices are up, a bright green bar is added.
- If both the bid and ask prices are down, a bright red bar is added.