The Forex Trader is a thinkorswim interface optimized specifically for forex trading. Watch the tutorial below to learn how to read your forex account info, customize the trading grid and link gadgets to its elements.
The Active Trader Ladder is a real-time data table that displays bid, ask, and volume data for the current symbol based on a price breakdown. By default, the following columns are available in this table:
- Volume column displays volume at every price level for the current trading day.
- Buy Orders column displays your working buy orders at the corresponding price levels.
- Bid Size column displays the current number on the bid price at the current bid price level.
- Price displays the price breakdown; prices in this column are sorted in descending order and have the same increment equal, by default, to the tick size. You can change this increment by clicking (Zoom In/ Zoom Out) buttons in the control bar to the right of the table. Current market price is highlighted in gray. To center the Active Trader Ladder so the market price is exactly in the middle, click (Center View) in the control bar to the right.
- Ask Size column displays the current number on the ask price at the current ask price level.
- Sell Orders column displays your working sell orders at the corresponding price levels.
Columns in the Active Trader Ladder are customizable: click on the (small gear) button in the top right corner of the table and choose Customize; the Customize Active Trader dialog will appear. Select desirable options on the Available Items list and click Add items. Additional items, which may be added, include:
- Fills will display the number of orders that have filled during the day, at their corresponding price levels;
- Orders will display bubbles of working buy and sell orders in a single column at their corresponding price levels;
- P/L Open will display profit/loss values since the position was opened, calculated at every price level;
- Trade Cnt will display the number of trades at every price level for the current trading day. You can also remove unnecessary columns by selecting them on the Current Set list and then clicking Remove Items. Click OK to update the Active Trader Ladder columns.
Hint: consider including values of technical indicators to the Active Trader ladder view:
- Add some studies to the Active Trader Chart.
- Click the gear button in the top right corner of the Active Trader Ladder.
- Select Show Chart Studies.
- Look for your study values in the Price column: those will be marked by circles, triangles, squares, or diamonds at corresponding price values. Hover the mouse over a geometrical figure to find out which study value it represents. If some study value does not fit into your current view (i.e., it is too high or too low), you will see an arrow pointing in the direction to scroll the ladder to find this value.
- You can add orders based on study values, too. Right-click on the geometrical figure of the desirable study value and choose Buy or Sell. Proceed with order confirmation.
Above the table, you can see the Position Summary, a customizable panel that displays important details of your current position. By default, the following metrics are displayed: buys and sells you’ve had during the trading day, total current position in the account, average price of the position currently in the account, the profit/loss value since the position was opened, and current day’s profit/loss.
To customize the Position Summary, click Show actions menu and choose Customize... The Customize position summary panel dialog will appear. Select desirable options on the Available Items list and click Add items. The only additional item that is not displayed by default is Day only position, which will display today’s total position.
You can also remove unnecessary metrics by selecting them on the Current Set list and then clicking Remove Items. Click OK to update the Active Trader Ladder columns.
The Company Profile feature is available from the following interfaces:
- Trade -> All Products. Click Company Profile in the header.
- Use the News gadget. Click on a symbol and then click Company Profile in the gadget header.
- Live news gadget. Type in a symbol and then click Company Profile.
- Watchlists. Right-click on a symbol and choose More info on -> Company Profile.
- Analyze -> Fundamentals. Type in a symbol to view company’s essential information and details provided by Trefis. Forecasting functionality is not available in this interface.
Note: not all symbols can be viewed in Company Profile. You can view a watchlist of all symbols for which the Company Profile is available: to do so, choose Company Profile in the watchlist selector.
The Company Profile window is divided into two parts: What Drives the Stock and Company Overview. Company Overview is a Trefis report that covers subjects like Valuation Highlights, Potential Upside and Downside to Trefis Price, Business Summary, Sources of Value, and Key Trends. The data in this overview will help you develop hypothetical scenarios that can be simulated in the What Drives the Stock section.
The first thing you see in What Drives the Stock is an interactive diagram of business divisions of the company whose stock you are researching. Each division is represented by default as percent of market capitalization and their block sizes are proportional to this percentage. To view it as estimated values, choose the corresponding option from the Show dropdown above. The whole diagram is accompanied by a Trefis price estimate and its difference from the current market price. A large difference between the Trefis estimate and the market price might suggest that the stock is somewhat mispriced by the market.
Click on a division to view available forecasts related to it. For example, clicking on the division responsible for cellphone production will provide you with forecasts of phone pricing or the number of phones sold. Note that some of the divisions have sub-divisions, for example, computer production may also suggest software and services or peripherals. In this case, the forecasts are displayed separately for each sub-division.
Clicking on a forecast will display a plot of the value being analyzed: its timespan normally includes five years before and seven years after the current date. Each forecast can be modified: drag the handles and watch the forecast change. By default, smooth editing is enabled (dragging any handle will move other handles along with it). To turn off the smooth editing so that the handles may be moved independently, click on the "graph" icon above the forecast.
Modifying the forecasts may affect the division diagram and the estimated price. If any of the forecasts is modified, the system will display Your estimated price which may be different from the Trefis estimate and/or current market price. To reset the modified forecast, click the "revert" icon above the forecast.
*Trefis information provided by Insight Guru, a separate, unaffiliated firm. Stock prices are impacted by numerous factors and estimates of prices in the future are not guaranteed.