If you're looking for tutorials, reference, or quick guides, stop: everything's right here, in thinkorswim Learning Center. Take a look around!
Several highlights we've selected for you.
The Company Profile feature is available from the following interfaces:
- Trade -> All Products. Click Company Profile in the header.
- Use the News gadget. Click on a symbol and then click Company Profile in the gadget header.
- Live news gadget. Type in a symbol and then click Company Profile.
- Watchlists. Right-click on a symbol and choose More info on -> Company Profile.
- Analyze -> Fundamentals. Type in a symbol to view company’s essential information and details provided by Trefis. Forecasting functionality is not available in this interface.
Note: not all symbols can be viewed in Company Profile. You can view a watchlist of all symbols for which the Company Profile is available: to do so, choose Company Profile in the watchlist selector.
The Company Profile window is divided into two parts: What Drives the Stock and Company Overview. Company Overview is a Trefis report that covers subjects like Valuation Highlights, Potential Upside and Downside to Trefis Price, Business Summary, Sources of Value, and Key Trends. The data in this overview will help you develop hypothetical scenarios that can be simulated in the What Drives the Stock section.
The first thing you see in What Drives the Stock is an interactive diagram of business divisions of the company whose stock you are researching. Each division is represented by default as percent of market capitalization and their block sizes are proportional to this percentage. To view it as estimated values, choose the corresponding option from the Show dropdown above. The whole diagram is accompanied by a Trefis price estimate and its difference from the current market price. A large difference between the Trefis estimate and the market price might suggest that the stock is somewhat mispriced by the market.
Click on a division to view available forecasts related to it. For example, clicking on the division responsible for cellphone production will provide you with forecasts of phone pricing or the number of phones sold. Note that some of the divisions have sub-divisions, for example, computer production may also suggest software and services or peripherals. In this case, the forecasts are displayed separately for each sub-division.
Clicking on a forecast will display a plot of the value being analyzed: its timespan normally includes five years before and seven years after the current date. Each forecast can be modified: drag the handles and watch the forecast change. By default, smooth editing is enabled (dragging any handle will move other handles along with it). To turn off the smooth editing so that the handles may be moved independently, click on the "graph" icon above the forecast.
Modifying the forecasts may affect the division diagram and the estimated price. If any of the forecasts is modified, the system will display Your estimated price which may be different from the Trefis estimate and/or current market price. To reset the modified forecast, click the "revert" icon above the forecast.
*Trefis information provided by Insight Guru, a separate, unaffiliated firm. Stock prices are impacted by numerous factors and estimates of prices in the future are not guaranteed.
Trade Flash is a thinkorswim gadget that displays trade-related events (a.k.a. flashes) as they happen. These flashes include third-party analyst up/downgrades, block trades, trade imbalances, events on the trading floor, and more. Like all other gadgets, Trade Flash can be displayed as a section of the left sidebar or a separate window (see the Left Sidebar article for details).
How to use Trade Flash:
1. Add the Trade Flash gadget to your left sidebar. To do so, click on the 'plus' button below the left sidebar and choose Trade Flash from the menu. Alternatively, you can replace an already active gadget with Trade Flash by clicking its Show actions menu button and choosing Switch gadget in the menu.
2. You can choose a symbol or a watchlist to view the flashes for. To pick a symbol, use the symbol selector. To pick a watchlist, click on the 'gear' button next to it.
3. In the main gadget area, Trade Flash displays a feed of events sorted by time, newest first. Symbols that appear in the feed are highlighted: clicking on any of them will re-direct you to the Trade tab so that you can take action on a flash. Right-clicking on a symbol will open the Symbol Actions menu that enables you to send orders, create alerts, and view more in-depth info.
4. You can select the kinds of flashes you would like to be displayed. To do so, click on the Select categories icon and activate the desirable categories.
5. Consider linking Trade Flash to a watch list using the color-coded clipboard available from the 'clip icon' menu . If Trade Flash is linked to a watchlist with the same color code, clicking through the watchlist will immediately display the corresponding symbols in Trade Flash.
6. Flashes are displayed in the gadget throughout the U.S. trading day and disappear shortly thereafter.
Learn how thinkorswim can make fundamental analysis easier.